Our dream is to inspire a movement of movements all over East Africa and beyond. Our aim is transformation, not mere information; discipleship, not mere religion. We long for all people to become fully committed followers of Jesus, but recognize that there are many expressions of the Kingdom of God and the work of the Holy Spirit.
Potential areas of focus:
- Identify people or groups in partner churches with high potential or abilities in disciple-making.
- Liaise with these groups to instill vision, provide training, advise, consult, and link to resources/relationships/opportunities.
- Work with EMM’s East Africa team to maintain vision and focus on church planting and discipleship.
- Train the EMM team and partner churches in evangelism, discipleship, and church planting skills.
- Work to ensure that missions training and perspective is included in EMM's leadership development efforts
East Africa has a pleasant climate year-round. The political environment is relatively stable in much of the region, but there are pockets where the situation is more tenuous. Resident workers could be based in Nairobi, where almost any amenity is available — but often at a higher price. Travel around the region could take one into much more rustic settings, with roads that are extremely rough and muddy.
Supervisors and colleagues
This person would be supervised by Debbi DiGennaro, interacting with the EMM East Africa team and partner churches.
Skills and experience
Ministry experience is highly desirable for this position. The ministry mentor should be able to work with people and groups of widely varying educational levels, cultural orientations, English language abilities, and organizational capacity. Applicants should have the ability to identify and mobilize potential within those diverse settings. This worker must have a genuine internal passion to see disciple-making movements ignited in East Africa, coupled with an unyielding commitment to effective discipleship. Cultural sensitivity and flexibility in regard to different church models are important qualities. Travel is quite rigorous for this position, and accommodations could be basic in rural settings.