EMM’s vision is to see everyone moving in mission, following God’s leading to share Him within their own unique contexts. EMM will continue to work for spiritual renewal in North America and partner with existing churches and networks as they engage in missions. We hope to foster deep and transformative movements of discipleship across this continent.
Rivers Edge internships will be arranged around one or more of the following focuses:
- Develop discipling relationships with the youth of the congregation and community. Plan group activities; teach and mentor.
- Lead worship during Sunday morning services, being willing to grow in serving the needs of a multicultural congregation.
- Join pastors and church members in community outreach and service, in a neighborhood where refugees from several areas of the world have resettled.
- Serve the church through administration and/or property maintenance; communicate with the various ministries that share a space to coordinate schedules; design and distribute pertinent information about upcoming events.
- All long-term and short-term missionaries engage in Launch, EMM’s discipleship training course, before and during their assignments. Phase one of Launch includes personal discipleship activities through online modules. For phase two of Launch, participants spend one to two weeks learning alongside their Launch cohort (a group of others preparing for service) before heading to their outreach locations. In phase three of Launch, workers continue to connect online with their Launch cohort for up to a year as they navigate ministry in their country of service.
Rivers Edge Fellowship is a city church in a diverse community in southeast Lancaster City. It’s a network church that includes both a Nepalese congregation and a diverse English-speaking congregation. Rivers Edge Fellowship ministers to the many cultures that coexist in the surrounding radius of just a few blocks.
The city of Lancaster is a small multicultural center in the middle of a county whose economy is driven by Amish tourism and agriculture. The climate has four distinct seasons, with hot, humid summers and cold, often snowy winters. Over the past decade, Lancaster has become a destination for refugees from many nations; this has significantly altered the demographics of the area.
Supervisors and colleagues
The ministry assistant will work closely with Rhoda Yost, the overseeing pastor of Rivers Edge Fellowship. This position also requires working closely with the leaders of the Nepalese and English-speaking churches, as well as other ministry leaders. There will also be regular check-ins with a member of EMM’s discipleship training staff.
Skills and experience
Applicants must have good organization skills and be good communicators in person, in writing, and by phone. They must also have well-rounded computer skills. All applicants must have a desire and willingness to work cross-culturally. The ministry assistant will be expected to attend either the Nepalese or the English-speaking Rivers Edge congregation.